The Jacobs Institute was founded in 1990 by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and named for its benefactor, J. Bay Jacobs, MD, FACOG, (1898-1989). J. Bay Jacobs was a medical doctor who specialized in obstetrics-gynecology in the Washington, DC area for 30 years. He had a private practice and served as chief of a busy home delivery service, which provided free prenatal care and delivery services to underserved women in Southwest Washington, DC.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists established the Jacobs Institute to promote the study and reporting of women’s health issues at the interface of medicine and the social sciences. Today, the Jacobs Institute has over 800 members worldwide and has been a recognized leader in improving health care for women.